I’m a big fan of pasta. It’s a quick and easy comfort food that tastes great no matter what time of year it is.
Despite that however pasta is one of those things that many of us nix the moment we’re looking to trim a little fat and hit a particular fitness goal—because of it’s high-carb content. If that’s your case, you’re going to LOVE this carb-light variation.
Instead of fettuccine noodles, this recipe uses thinly sliced vegetables to lower the carb content, without sacrificing taste. Making it a great way to eat pasta without the carb-guilt.
Okay I know what you’re thinking, namely because I thought it too when I first stumbled upon this recipe: “Pasta without the PASTA!? That sounds sacrilegious.”
And yes, I’ll admit, pasta without any actual pasta does seem a little (okay a lot) odd. But trust me, this recipe is incredible.
I topped my pasta with the super hearty and delicious meat sauce outlined within this recipe, but you could absolutely get creative and top yours with what ever sauce you’re feeling to make it your perfect fall meal.
Also feel free to experiment with different veggies. Personally I think sweet potato and/or butternut squash would be bomb. 😉
Hope you enjoy it!
Beef and Vegetable “Fettuccine”
Serves 1 large or 2 small
3/4c broccoli stalk imperfections, trimmed
Sliced sirloin steak, stir fry steak or ground beef
1/4c onion, chopped
1/4c coconut milk
1tbsp miso paste
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch pepper
2tbsp water or vegetable broth
- Peel the outside layer of the carrots and discards. Now use the peeler and peel the carrots, zucchini and broccoli into strips, then set aside. This is the “fettuccine.”
- With the zucchini, peel down until you reach the seeded centre and then either mash up and add to the sauce or discard.
- Sauté beef and remove from pan and set aside.
- Preheat a small pot on medium heat and lightly coal with oil. Add the onion and sauté.
- Mix in the coconut milk, yogurt, miso, nutmeg and pepper, bring to a boil, simmer and stir until miso is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Clean the pan, if necessary, preheat and add more oil. Add the carrot and broccoli to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add 2tbsp or water or broth and then add the zucchini and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the sauce and toss until warms.
- Transfer to the centre of a plate and top with beef.
Based on 2 servings