This simple chicken recipe is just that, simple. (Super) easy to prep, this veggie-packed dish comes together in a little over 30 minutes making it the perfect weeknight meal.
When I first discovered this recipe I was a little skeptical about how all of the different flavour combinations would come together. Miso paste, coconut milk, curry powder, peaches… it sounded like a bit of a flavour mess. BUT since I like all of those things, I decided to give it a-go… and boy was I glad that I did. Upon the first waft of my cooking chicken all of my concerns were laid to rest.
Code for: this recipe makes your kitchen smell delicious. 😉😋
Now I will tell you that I did end up omitting the peaches—because I’m not a huge fan of fruit paired with vegetables… and I figured the combo wouldn’t fly with my kids either—but if you’re game to try it, I say go for it! Gourmet Nutrition (the fabulous cookbook this recipe came from) has yet to steer me wrong.
If you’re into versatile meals, you’ll like this one too. The flavour profile of the sauce would compliment pretty well ANY veggie or protein. In fact, I already have plans to make it again with cauliflower, broccoli, yams (a favourite of mine!) and prawns. Needless to say, this recipe now has a permanent spot in my recipe library.
Hope you enjoy this class chicken dish as much as my family and I did!
PS – The leftovers from this meal were just as good as the first round. So, if you have a large family, you may want to double this recipe. 😉
Courtesy of Gourmet Nutrition
1tbsp miso paste
3/4c coconut milk
1lb 2oz chicken breast, cubed
1c red pepper, large diced
1c onion, large diced
1tbsp garlic, minced
1tbsp curry powder
1c peach, small diced
1c broccoli florets, small
1c asparagus, 1 inch pieces
1 1/2c aged white cheddar, grated
- Preheat the over to 400ºF.
- Whisk miso and coconut milk together until miso is completely dissolved.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat and lightly coat with oil.
- Add the chicken (in batches if necessary) and sauté until lightly browned on both sides. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Return pan to medium heat and add more oil if necessary.
- Add the red pepper, onion, garlic, curry powder and cumin and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add miso mixture, peach, broccoli, asparagus and sautéd vegetables to casserole dish. Mix well.
- Evenly top with grated cheese and place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned.
Serves 3 large or 6 small.
(Based on 6 small servings)