Chickpeas, or garbanzo beans as some people call them, are high-protein, fibre-packed beans used in everything from curries to condiments, like hummus.
The other day I was flipping through my Gourmet Nutrition cookbook (a favourite of mine) and stumbled upon this delicious curry coconut chickpeas’ recipe… which I knew immediately that I had to make because I’m a bit of a sucker for a good curry.
In this recipe, chickpeas are mixed together with a bunch of veggies and some curry powder to create a flavourful meal that’s really good for you too.
This dish was also super easy-to-prep, and a hit at my dinner table. My boys loved it. ????????
I paired my curry with BBQ chicken, but it could also be served on its own as a plant-based meal or an accompaniment to grilled seasonal seafood. You can also mix the leftovers with some broth or coconut milk to make a yummy soup. ????
Hope you enjoy it!
Curry Coconut Chickpeas
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Nutrition
Serves 1 large or 2 small
2tsp coconut oil or butter
1c cabbage or bok choy, sliced
1/2c onion, diced
1/2c red pepper, small diced
1/2 cup coconut milk (shake very well first)
1tsp fresh garlic, minced
1tsp fresh ginger, grated
1tsp curry powder
3/4c chick peas (cooked or canned), drained
1 pinch pepper
1tbsp fresh basil, thin sliced
- Preheat a frying pan on medium heat and add coconut oil or butter and then add the cabbage.
- Sauté until cabbage shrinks down and add the onions and peppers and sauté for 2-4 minutes more.
- Add one tablespoon of the coconut milk and the garlic, ginger and curry paste. Sauté 2 minutes more.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, chickpeas, salt and pepper and heat until warm.
- Add the fresh basil and serve.
Based on recipe divide into 2 portions