I first came across this delicious black bean Quesadilla recipe in a Bon Appetit magazine several years ago – and it has been a staple in my house ever since. Not only is this recipe super quick to prepare, my kids also love them. Which if you have kids you know, is a massive selling point.
Make it tonight and enjoy!
Black Bean Quesadillas with Cilantro Lime Slaw
Lime Cilantro Slaw:
1/2 head of grated cabbage, red or green is fine
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch of green onions, diced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Sea salt to taste
Mix all the ingredient in a bowl and let sit while you cook the quesadillas.
1 large can of black beans
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
Grated white cheddar, monterey jack or feta cheese (or whatever other type of cheese that you like!)
4 large whole wheat tortillas, or 6 small whole wheat or corn tortillas
Toppings: Avocado, salsa, organic sour cream and hot sauce, if desired.
- Mix beans and seasonings together in a bowl.
- Place 1/4 or 1/6 of the mixture on half of your tortilla and top with grated cheese.
- Fold your tortilla in half and place in pan over medium heat.
- Cook until brown on one side then flip and continue cooking until browned.
- Once finished, take out of your pan, open up your the tortilla and add your lime cilantro slaw, sliced avocados, salsa, sour cream and hot sauce.
- Close and enjoy!
It really is that easy 🙂
The Truth About Orange Cheese
Believe it or not, orange cheddar cheese is actually dyed! Yes I know this may come as a shock to some of you, (it was certainly a shock to me when I first found out about it) but it’s true.
If you’re like me you’re probably asking yourself, “why dye cheese?!” Well it’s certainly not for your health. Apparently based on market research orange cheese is more appealing than white cheese… But hopefully now that you know the truth, white cheese will now be more appealing to you.