I came across this organic spring roll salad recipe while surfing Facebook and made it for dinner that very night; and let me tell you it was incredible. I didn’t have the carrots the recipe called for when preparing it, (my kids eat raw carrots like candy and had eaten all of the carrots in my house) but this salad was still delicious.
This recipe is the perfect make-ahead meal for a picnic, weekend getaway, or lunches for the week. I used buckwheat soba noodles instead of white rice noodles to boost the nutritional content, but you can really use whatever type of noodle you like. Try this recipe on it’s own. or do what I did and serve it alongside a protein like salmon.
Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!
Organic Spring Roll Salad
For the salad:
- 2 cups rice noodles, cooked and cooled (I used buckwheat soba noodles)
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 handful (or to taste) fresh organic basil leaves, chopped
- 1 handful (or to taste) fresh organic mint leaves, chopped
- 2 organic carrots, shredded
- 1 organic jicama root, shredded
- 2 to 3 cups beansprouts
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons organic sesame seeds (black sesame seeds look nice!)
- Small splash organic sesame oil (teeny tiny tossing amount)
- Optional: grilled or baked vegan “chicken” or firm tofu, sliced into thin strips or shredded
For the garnish:
- 1 handful organic cilantro (or to taste), chopped
- 1/4 lime per person, to be added individually
For the “peanut” dressing:
- 1/4 cup organic raw almond butter or organic peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or organic soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons organic rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons organic light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh organic ginger, grated
- 5 tablespoons hot water
- Sea salt to taste
Optional additions to the dressing if you want heat:
- 2 organic garlic cloves, minced (I added these to the dressing)
- 1 teaspoon organic hot sauce
- Prepare the garnish and set aside in separate bowls.
Make the dressing by blending all ingredients until mixed and set aside.
- Cook the rice noodles, cool and toss in a giant bowl with a teeny tiny amount of organic sesame oil to prevent sticking. If they are too long, cut them a bit so you can mix them into the salad.
- Add the rest of the salad ingredients to the bowl and toss.
- Slice or shred the cooked protein (Chicken or tofu) and put it into your medium bowl and toss well with the salt to taste. Now you can add it to your giant bowl of tossed salad.
- Add minimal amount of dressing and toss the giant salad. Your guests can add more dressing as desired per serving.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with cilantro and 1 wedge of lime per bowl.