Now that the holidays are over, it’s time to get back on track with our eating habits, and I for one am ready for it. The heavy meals of the holidays left me feeling lethargic and craving a big bowl of vegetables. One of the first meals that I prepared after coming home from visiting with my husband’s family was this fresh and yummy soba noodle salad.
This super simple recipe comes together quickly, making it the perfect meal for a busy weeknight. I served mine alongside some grilled ribeye, but it would be great served with another protein, (grilled fish or chicken would be delicious) or all on its own.
When preparing this meal look for 100% buckwheat noodles if you’re gluten-free like I am (both Budget Foods in Lander and Whole Foods carry them). If not, you have a little more flexibility on which noodles you choose.
Here’s to starting 2016 off on the right foot!
Soba Noodle Salad
1 package buckwheat noodles
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 quart of cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
1 long english cucumber, diced
4 cups of spinach leaves
**Feel free to swap out any of these veggies or add more. This recipe is flexible.
- In a large serving dish mix olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.
- Cook soba noodles according to the package directions. Once your noodles are done rinse them with cold water and add them to your olive oil mixture right away. This will stop them from sticking together.
- Add in tomatoes, olives, spinach and cucumbers.
- Toss & Serve immediately.
- This dish keeps great in the fridge for a few days.