Let’s face it: if you’re at all physique-conscious, you likely gave up French Toast a long time ago. But what if I told you you didn’t have to? That’s right, with the help of some whole grain bread and omega-3 eggs, you can put French Toast back on your morning the menu… for good. ????
Now that news alone might be exciting enough, but it gets better thanks to this sundae-inspired French Toast recipe courtesy of my favourite cookbook of the moment, Gourmet Nutrition. When I say “sundae” I don’t mean ice cream, so don’t worry, this is definitely still a healthy post-workout (or any day) meal. Instead of the ice cream that you’d typically find on a sundae, this recipe subs-out the frozen dessert and replaces it with cottage cheese and fresh fruit. Topped with nuts, this is a breakfast that can’t be beat.
Hope you enjoy it!
Sunrise Sundae with French Toast Hash Browns
Courtesy of Gourmet Nutrition
Serves 1 large or 2 small
1/4c apples, small diced
1/2c low-fat cottage cheese
1/4c nectarine, small diced
1/4c strawberry, sliced
1/3c mixed nuts, unsalted, crushed
1 slice whole grain bread
Whole omega-3 egg
- Place all of the apple pieces in the the bottom of a tall glass bowl.
- Place the remaining ingredients on top of the apple in the order they appear on the ingredient list.
- Cut bread into 1 inch square cubes. Whisk egg, cinnamon and salt in a small mixing bowl and place bread cubes into egg. Let soak for 30 seconds.
- Preheat and non-stick frying pan and lightly coat with oil.
- Pour the egg and break mixture in to the pain. Mixing as little as possible, lightly brown the bread.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Based on 2 small servings