Meatloaf is one of those classic meals that will likely never go out of style. And I for one am thankful for it. Most of us have a go-to meatloaf recipe, likely passed down from our mom, but that hasn’t stopped meatloaf lovers from experimenting with different flavour combinations to give it a fresh twist. This Turkey Meatloaf recipe is a perfect example of that.
Loaded with veggies and super quick to prepare, this Turkey Meatloaf is worth the step out of the box. I like to serve it with roasted veggies for an added nutrient kick (roasted yams and Brussels sprouts are especially good with it) but it would also be good with mashed potatoes or a side salad.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, slice up your meatloaf and place it between two slides of whole grain bread for a delicious lunch the next day. You could also repurpose this recipe by transforming it from meatloaf into a yummy spaghetti sauce. All you would need to do is add a jar of your favourite tomato sauce and remove the 1/4 cup of chili sauce.
Hope you enjoy it!
1lb ground turkey breast
1(1 1/4 ounce) packet instant plain oatmeal
1⁄4 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄2 cup shredded zucchini, excess water squeezed out
1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
3 button mushrooms, chopped
1⁄2 cup fresh spinach, chopped, excess water squeezed out
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1⁄4 cup chili sauce
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Empty packet of oatmeal into a small bowl and add milk. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a small sauté pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add rest of the vegetables and cook until soft and some of the liquid has evaporated.
- In a mixing bowl, mix ground turkey, oatmeal mixture, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce and sautéed veggies until well combined. Form into a loaf shape and place in a greased loaf pan or on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F until internal temperature reaches 140°F Raise oven temperature to 450°F and bake until internal temperature reaches 180°, and the outside of the loaf forms a nice crust.
Based on meatloaf being divided into 8 servings