Now that things are starting to cool off a bit, it’s our cue to start prepping healthy comfort foods. Shepherd’s pie is traditionally a layer of ground beef under a layer of mashed potatoes, but this delicious recipe takes it to a WHOLE NEW level by subbing out the beef and replacing it with ground turkey and adding in a can of creamed corn and parmesan cheese.
Quick to prepare, and a family favourite, it’s also great for leftovers. Or if you are feeling super organized, you can prep two and freeze one. Paired with a side salad or steamed veggies, it’s the perfect post-workout meal.
Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
2 baking potatoes
1/2 yam or celery root
1 tsp of butter
1 tbsp of skim milk
2 tbsp of non-fat sour cream
1 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 onion (diced)
1 celery stick (chopped)
2 carrots (shredded)
1 red pepper (or a combination of coloured peppers)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1/2-1 pound of ground turkey
1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning
1 tsp of Italian seasoning
1/3 cup of chicken stock or water
1 can of creamed corn
1 tbsp of parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- Place potatoes and yam (or celery root) in water, boiling until tender.
- Drain and mash add butter, milk, and sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a large skillet on medium heat. Sauté onions, carrots, celery, and peppers until tender for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Once the vegetables have softened and start to brown a little add the tomato paste and mix evenly.
- Add the ground turkey and poultry seasoning and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock or water, season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to an oven-proof baking dish and spread evenly.
- Add can of creamed corn and spread evenly. Last, place potato on top and spread out evenly, once the top surface has been covered, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Place the dish into the preheated oven and cook until browned about 20 minutes.
Your email address will not be shared or published. Required fields are marked *