The Brettzel is a one of our go-to mobility drills at BIM. Why do we love it? You get a ton of bang for your buck! This FMS™ stretch promotes hip, glute, quadricep and thoracic spine mobility, while reinforcing diaphragmatic breathing. Need we say more?
What to do:
- Lie on your side with your hips and shoulders stacked and support your neck
- Flex your top leg to at least 90 degrees and grab onto your thigh with your bottom hand
- Bend your bottom knee, then reach back with your top hand and grab your ankle. If you can’t reach, wrap a towel around your ankle instead.
- Then take a deep breath in, and as you exhale, open up your chest towards the ceiling, dropping your shoulder towards the ground
- Once you are in this position, gently try to kick out your legs without breaking your grip
- Hold this contraction for a few seconds, relax, exhale and see if you are able to get your shoulder a few centimetres closer to the ground
- Repeat 5x and make sure to do both sides! You should eventually aim to have your shoulder within 1 fist-length of the floor.
Check out a video here for a visual and let me know if you have any questions! You can email me anytime at email@example.com