Thanksgiving is a coming and that means turkey soup! Okay I know, I should be thinking more about the roast turkey and less about the soup you can create from the leftover turkey, but what can I say, I’m a soup fanatic.
Yes creating your own broth is a little more labour-intensive. But I assure you, the benefits out-way the work. Homemade bone broth (of any kind) is uber nutritious, and tastes incredible. This turkey soup recipe is great when made from leftover turkey carcass, but can also be made with store bought broth if you don’t have a carcass on hand.
Homemade Turkey Soup
- 1 leftover turkey carcass **You may need to cut it up to fit it in your slow cooker
- Enough water to cover the turkey bones
- 1/4 cup white wine or apple cider vinegar
- Cloves from 1 head of garlic
- 3 stalks of celery – roughly chopped
- 1 onion – roughly chopped. Leave skin on, it adds flavour
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- Fresh herbs **I like thyme and rosemary but you can use any you like
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large leek sliced and rinsed well
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 teaspoons of dried thyme or 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
- 1 head of kale roughly chopped
- 4 large tomatoes diced
- Leftover turkey or 2 cups of chickpeas **If using canned, use Eden Organic as they don’t use BPA in their cans
- Sea salt or herbamare
- Place all of your ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 12-18 hours. I do this right after thanksgiving dinner, so the next night we can have soup 😉
- Strain stock and discard solids.
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil and saute leeks over medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes, then add carrots and celery and saute another 5 mins.
- Add remaining ingredients except kale and rice and simmer on low for 20-30 mins until vegetables are tender.
- Add kale and rice and simmer until your kale is bright green.
- Season to taste with Sea Salt or Herbamare.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Your email address will not be shared or published. Required fields are marked *