I love roasted vegetables, especially in the winter. So when I was on the hunt for a simple dinner this past Friday I knew roasted veggies needed to make an appearance, at least somewhere on my plate.
I don’t like making time-consuming meals. After a day of work, running errands and taking care of my kids the thought of spending hours in the kitchen is less than appealing to me. I’d rather spend that time playing games with my kids, or watching a movie… so I came up with this simple, easy and roasted veggie-packed dinner the whole family will love. 🙂
This recipe would also make for a great breakfast or brunch, and makes enough for leftovers the next day. However if you do pack it for lunch the next day, I recommend subbing out the poached eggs for hard boiled ones.
Feel free to change up any of the vegetables listed with ones you have on hand. This hash is extremely versatile. 😉
Roasted Vegetable Hash with Farmers Sausage & Poached Eggs
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 large yam, cubed **I don’t peel them because you can get a lot of nutrients from the skin
1 onion, cut in large chunks
1 red pepper and 1 yellow or orange pepper cut into chunks
20 brown mushrooms, cut into quarters
1 head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 head of garlic minced, or 1 tbsp of garlic powder
2 farmers sausages, sliced and fried in a pan separately **I get these ones from spud.ca. They have amazing flavour and are good quality.
1 avocado, diced
4 eggs, poached after the roasted vegetables are done **Look for free range eggs as they contain omega 3 fatty acids
2 cups chopped kale or spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, put the coconut oil on the sheet and place in the oven until it melts.
- Remove from oven and add all the vegetables, with the exception of the avocado and spinach.
- Toss and sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder or minced garlic.
- Roast in the oven at 400 for 35-45 minutes. The time will vary based on the size you chopped your vegetables.
- While the vegetables are roasting fry the sausage and set aside.
- About 10 minutes before the vegetables are done, boil a pot of water and poach the eggs in a rolling boil for about 4 mins for medium.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and stir in spinach or kale to gently wilt it.
- To assemble: Place 1/4 of the vegetable mixture on a plate, top with 1/4 of sausage and 1-2 poached eggs, 1/2 a chopped avocado and season with sea salt and pepper.
- The all you have left to do is enjoy it. 🙂